Town celebrates 12th victory at home
Ipswich Town 2 Southampton 0 IPSWICH Town continued their terrific streak of home wins by making Southampton their 12th victim in a row.Jon Walters and Pablo Counago got the goals as the Blues pushed back into the play-off places.
By Derek Davis
Ipswich Town 2 Southampton 0
IPSWICH Town continued their terrific streak of home wins by making Southampton their 12th victim in a row.
Jon Walters and Pablo Counago got the goals as the Blues pushed back into the play-off places.
Southampton had threatened a couple of times on the break before Ipswich went ahead in fortuitous fashion.
A Tommy Miller free kick was touched to Billy Clarke who never got a clean connection but took a deflection off Jon Walters to take it past Kelvin Davis 11 minutes before the break.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 4 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 9 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 10 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
Man of the match Pablo Counago headed in Town's seconds from a free kick by substitute Gavin Williams as Ipswich stepped up a gear in the second half.
Town were rightly denied a penalty when Jon Walters went down under a Philip Ifil tackle in the area but the Saints defender had won the ball.
Kelvin Davis made a brilliant save to deny Counago while Neil Alexander produced a terrific tip over from Stern John.