Town close in on first signing
PAUL Jewell’s search for his first signing is almost over – with a new man set to be unveiled by Ipswich Town.
The EADT understands that the Blues are close to completing a deal for their first recruit in what should prove to be a busy summer in Suffolk.
While the club were last night remaining silent on the imminent arrival, in keeping with their policy of not commenting on speculation, it seems the fans’ frustrating wait for concrete transfer news could be coming to an end.
Jewell has been working overtime as he looks to give his side a much-needed facelift after their mid-table finish last season.
The Town boss has scoured potential targets at home and abroad in a bid to bring in the right types of players – for the right price.
You may also want to watch:
With up to seven new signings arguably needed, today’s news will be welcome regardless of whether it is a 20-goal striker or a dependable right-back who arrives first.
Over the weekend, Sunderland centre-back Nyron Nosworthy and Sheffield United striker Ched Evans were the latest players to be linked with a move to Suffolk next season.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 9 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 10 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
The prospect of a new signing will be welcomed by fans concerned about the departures of key men Gareth McAuley and David Norris, as well as a host of youngsters, and then reports that Liverpool have bid �8million for star striker Connor Wickham.
But supporters will understandably remain cautious until the club formally announce something after Jewell’s talks with a potential new signing failed, at the time, to materialise into a new signing 10 days ago.