Town cruise to morale-boosting victory
TWO goals inside the first 15 minutes set Ipswich Town on the way to a comfortable victory over Coventry City.
The home side went into the interval two goals to the good thanks to a 45 minutes of fluid football, fast attacking and some great chances created.
A Martin Crainey own goal and Keith Andrews got the goals – but Town could have four or five with Michael Chopra missing a couple of golden chances.
Andrews glanced a header wide before Coventry almost got back in the game when Lukas Jutkiewicz header was brilliantly cleared off the line by Aaron Cresswell.
Town were understandably unable to hit the same heights after the interval, but they didn’t have to.
You may also want to watch:
Coventry had half chances through Gary McSheffrey and Cody McDonald but the game was made safe through Jason Scotland, who fully justified Paul Jewell’s faith in starting him.
Scotland played a neat one-two with Chopra before calmly slotting the ball past Joe Murphy in the 67th minute.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
Andrews went close to adding a fourth but the final action was fittingly left to Cresswell.
Twice Coventry sub Roy O’Donovan headed goalwards but twice Cresswell headed off the line. Maybe his keeper would have saved both, but the left-back was like a man possessed and would not let anything pass.
City left Suffolk having had just three shots on target. And the magnificent Cresswell had cleared every single one of them off the line.
Ipswich Town – Stockdale; Edwards, Sonko, Collins, Cresswell; Leadbitter, Bowyer, Bullard, Andrews; Scotland, Chopra. Subs – Lee-Barrett, Ainsley, Delaney, Emmanuel-Thomas, Murphy.
Coventry City – Murphy, Christie, Keogh, Crainey, Hussey; Bigirimana, Clingan, Bell, Baker; Jutkiewicz, McDonald. Subs – Dunn, McSheffery, O’Donovan, Cameron, Tomas