Town earn point in blustery conditions
IN near impossible windy conditions Ipswich Town and Charlton Athletic Under-18’s fought out an entertaining 2-2 draw.
In the opening seconds Josh Carson was put clean through but fired weakly at the Charlton keeper, but soon after Town took the lead when Carel Tiofack controlled a pass from Aaron Jones to fire home for his first goal for the youth team.
Jack Simmons shot over and Cody Cropper cleared with his feet as the match swung from end to end in the blustery wind.
In the 38th minute the visitors’ keeper dropped a fierce shot from Carson and Jones tapped in the loose ball to make it two for Ipswich. The lead lasted just two minutes before Akebayo Azeez swept home a cross from the right.
Carson started the second half by going close for Town but after 58 minutes Azeez was put clear to beat Cropper with a low shot and put the Londoners on terms.
You may also want to watch:
Brandon Hall in the Charlton goal produced an astonishing save from a deflected Cormac Burke shot and Cullum Bennett fired narrowly over as Town looked for a winner.
Both sides went close in the final minutes as Jide Maduako had a shot blocked on the line and Cropper saved the day at the other end with another fine save.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 4 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 9 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 10 Audi and Jaguar crash into central reservation on A12 at Copdock
A point apiece was a fair outcome. On Saturday Town travel to Fulham with an 11am start.
Ipswich: Cropper, Bennett, White, Jones, Meekings, McKeown, Burke, Scotcher, Simmons, Carson, Tiofack. Substitutes: Maduako, October, Acott, Lawrence, Winter.
Following their tremendous 6-0 thrashing of Fulham last week, Town Under-16’s lost by the only goal of the game to Charlton.