Town level at interval against Bristol City

Ipswich Town 0 Bristol City 0

IPSWICH Town struck the bar twice – through Grant Leadbitter and Tamas Priskin – but were level when they went in at the interval of their npower Championship game against Bristol City at Portman Road on Saturday.

Town made three changes from the side that beat Crewe Alexandra 1-0 after extra time in the Carling Cup at Gresty Road on Tuesday.

Fulop returned in goal in place of Murphy, who had an outstanding game in midweek while Peters came back in at right back at the expense of Brown. Scotland made his full Town debut and replaced O’Connor.

O’Dea, who is on loan from Celtic until January, was making his home debut, while Stead and Pitman were playing their first games for the visitors having been signed during the week.

Stead was given a good reception by Ipswich fans having left Portman Road on Monday after serving the club well (67 appearances) and having starred in last weekend’s 2-1 league victory at Crystal Palace.

The two teams warmed up in bright sunshine with a two-week break following this game before the Blues visit Portsmouth in a fortnight’s time.

Most Read

After 12 minutes of sparring, the game came to life when Scotland was adjudged to have been fouled as he tried to force his way beyond a bunch of defenders. The free-kick was played short to Leadbitter, who flicked the ball up and volleyed a 20 yard effort that beat James but came back off the bar.

It was mainly Town but the Robins were working hard and seeing plenty of the ball.

In the 20th minute, Leadbitter won a corner that Smith headed over, and a minute Scotland played Edwards into space down the right and when the cross came in the number 10 was on hand to miss the far post by a few inches with an instinctive low effort.

Adomah showed that City were not to be denied when he found space and shot low left-footed from 22 yards – with Fulop having to dive full length to his left to collect a shot bound for the far corner.

Priskin, who was floating between midfield and up front beside Scotland, then cleared the bar by half a foot with an angled strike as the match stepped up a gear. A minute later – in the 26th – Stead beat the offside trap and forced Fulop into a low save on his line.

Three minutes later, Stead shot low from 18 yards and Fulop saved on his line. The ball went straight back down the other end and Priskin got goal side of his marker as he chased the ball and thumped a six yard drive flush against the bar.

Despite City at times looking vulnerable at the back, Town were finding a home goal elusive to come by, but when Edwards sent over a cross in the 37th minute, Scotland managed to stretch to get in a glancing header that failed to trouble James.

TOWN have received their eighth away cup draw on the bounce with a third round Carling Cup trip to Championship Millwall on September 21 or 22.

This follows an FA Cup trip under previous manager Jim Magilton to Chelsea and journeys to Shrewsbury, Peterborough, Exeter and Crewe in the Carling Cup under Roy Keane and Blackpool and Southampton in the FA Cup under the current manager.


Ipswich Town: Fulop; Peters, McAuley, Smith, O’Dea; Hyam; Edwards, Leadbitter, Norris, Priskin; Scotland. Substitutes: Murphy, O’Connor, Brown, Healy.

Bristol City: James; Hunt, Stewart, Fontaine, McAllister; Sproule, Elliott, Cisse, Adomah; Stead, Pitman. Substitutes:

Referee: Mr MP Russell (Hertfordshire)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter