Town lost out to Southampton at youth level
IPSWICH Town made the long journey to the south coast to face Under-18 Academy league leaders Southampton and came back with a 2-0 defeat.
Elliott Scotcher returned to the starting line-up and West Ham trialist Deniz Mehmet was in goal.
Saints made a flying start and took the lead when leading scorer Sam Hoskins was brought down by a clumsy challenge from Josh Meekings. Hoskins made no mistake from the spot.
Saints were showing why they are current favourites for the title and after 12 minutes a defensive error presented Lloyd Isgrove the chance to make it two.
It was a backs-to-the-wall struggle for the remainder of the half, but Town defended well to keep in the match.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, Ipswich looked a far better side and were desperately unlucky when a fierce shot from Scotcher struck a post and rebounded to safety off the keeper. Joe Whight also went close with a header inches over the bar.
On Saturday Ipswich entertain Birmingham City at Playford Road with a noon kick-off.
- 1 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 2 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 7 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
Ipswich: Mehmet, Bennett, McKeown, Jones, Meekings, Maduako, Tiofack, Scotcher, Lavery, Burke, Whight. Substitutes: October, Acott, Marriott
Town Under-16’s lost a close match 3-2 against Saints’ youngsters.