Town move closer to signing keeper
IPSWICH TOWN: Goalkeeper Marton Fulop has turned down offers from Premier League big shots Manchester City and Spanish La Liga newcomers Hercules – as he moves closer to joining the playing staff at Ipswich Town.
The 27-year-old Hungarian international’s top priority is to play first team football – and he sees a move from Sunderland to join Roy Keane’s Championship team as giving him the best opportunity for this.
He is happy to play in the Championship and is reported to be ready to negotiate a feasible wages deal with the Blues.
Anderlecht (Belgium) and Olympiakos (Greece) are two other clubs that have shown interest in a keeper who has become surplus to requirements at the Stadium of Light.
Two other Premier League clubs beside Manchester City have also enquired about a keeper who spent the end of last season on loan at the Eastlands-based club.
The fee is likely to be between �750,000 and �1,500m – the latter being the fee that Sunderland manager Steve Bruce has put on his head, but which is open for negotiation.
Fulop was not guaranteed first team football at the clubs he has turned down, and he is happy to join Ipswich having been purchased from Tottenham when Keane was manager of Sunderland.
- 1 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 2 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 3 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 4 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 5 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 6 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 7 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 8 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 9 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
- 10 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
His friendship with fellow countryman Tamas Priskin – also on Town’s books – is also thought to be a factor in his desire to join Ipswich.
With both clubs and player appearing happy with the deal, Fulop could be a Town player by the end of the week.
Meanwhile, is looks as though Keane is looking to keep Alex Bruce at Portman Road. The defender agreed terms with Sheffield United at the weekend but there was no further moves forward yesterday.
Bruce trained at Playford Road yesterday along with Jon Stead, who is the subject of a bid from Bristol City and interest from another Championship club.
Mark Kennedy was in Ipswich yesterday and his �75,000 move from Cardiff City to fill what has been a troublesome left-back position for Keane’s side appears to be ready to finalise.
Charlton are reported to be interested in Kevin Lisbie and Lee Martin, but neither are likely to want to drop down to League One.
Former Town target Gary Hooper is set to sign for Celtic after a �2million deal was agreed with Scunthorpe for the 22-year-old striker.