Town outgunned by Arsenal
TWO tremendous first-half strikes from Arsenal’s Alban Bunjaku gave the young Gunners a 2-0 win over Ipswich Under-18s at Playford Road.
The double strike left the Blues with a mountain to climb and although they battled well, the points were always destined to go to the Londoners.
In the opening minutes Jon Leddy had a low shot well saved while at the other end Conor O’Donnell made the first of a string of fine saves in the Ipswich goal.
On 16 minutes, Town conceded a free kick and from 25 yards, Bunjaku fired an unstoppable shot around the wall and into the net.
A sweeping Town move ended with a curling JacK Simmons shot grazing an Arsenal post, but minutes later Bunjaku was given too much space in the Town area and for the second time O’Donnell was helpless as the ball flashed past his left hand.
You may also want to watch:
As half time approached the Town keeper made a point-blank save to keep them in the game.
Russell Osman made three changes for the second half, but the turning point came when Jack Marriott missed the chance that could have turned the game.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 9 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 10 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
Byron Lawrence caught the eye with some neat play and Town matched their opponents without seriously troubling the Londoners.
Next Saturday, Ipswich travel to Fulham (11am ko).
Team: O’Donnell, Jones, Whight, Schroder, Thorsteinsson, Maduako, Winter, Bennett, Marriott, Simmons, Leddy Subs: October, Scotcher, Meikle, Timlin, Lawrence.
* 4-0 down down at the interval, Town’s Under-16s staged a great recovery, but eventually lost 5-3 to Arsenal.