Town pass up the chance(s) to end on a high PLUS full match facts

IPSWICH Town’s failure to convert their chances – coupled with some poor defending – saw them lose their last Championship game of the season at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday.

Leicester City 4-2 Ipswich Town

IPSWICH Town’s failure to convert their chances – coupled with some poor defending – saw them lose their last Championship game of the season at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday.

The visitors created enough chances to have at least matches Leicester’s total with Jason Scotland the main culprit in the first period.

Paul Jewell’s side end the season in mid-table and on this evidence they have much work to do to make it a much better 2011/12.

You may also want to watch:

How Town ended being 3-0 down at the interval is a mystery with well taken goals from Andy King, Yakubu and Yuki Abe.

Josh Carson’s introduction for Scotland saw Ipswich raise their game again and Grant Leadbitter converted a penalty before Connor Wickham netted two minutes late – in the 72nd minute. Substitute Diomansy Kamara netted Leicester’s fourth goal in the 72nd minute after more poor defending as hopes of an Ipswich fightback were dashed.

Most Read

The absence of keeper Murphy in the Town squad suggests that he will not be agreeing a new Blues deal with Lee-Barrett coming in to sit on the bench after being omitted from last week’s final 18.

Fulop remained between the sticks with McAuley, Wickham, Healy and Martin coming in. Out went Bullard, who was feeling the effects of his run of games since joining Town on loan from Hull – and perhaps there was some appearance money considerations – Brown, Carson and Murray.

After a drizzly morning the sun came out as the players warmed up with conditions in stark contrast to the corresponding game at Portman Road when Ipswich won 3-0 in a blizzard just before Christmas.

Town had a wonderful chance to take the lead third minute when Abe gave the ball to Norris. The Town skipper, who was playing his last game before his contract ends, had only Weale to beat, but side-footed his 16 yard effort a foot wide of the keeper’s left hand post.

Despite nothing hanging on the game Ipswich were well supported with their fans sitting in the corner of a stand to the left of Fulop’s first half goal.

It was obviously going to be an entertaining spectacle with neither side under pressure, and in the ninth minute Yakubu found space on the left to screech a left foot shot a yard over Fulop’s goal.

Two minutes later Chelsea loanee van Aanholt combined with Gallagher down the left and when he pulled the ball back from the by-line, Yakubu should have done better than screw his low shot across the face of the goal.

When Wickham headed forward a half-cleared corner soon afterwards, Scotland held his head in dismay after failing to get a significant touch when positioned right in front of Weale.

In the 15th minute Ipswich missed a glorious chance. Weale did well to keep out Wickham’s 20 yard low shot at the near post. But he spilled the ball and it ran out to Scotland who from six yards managed to be denied by the prone keeper with the whole of the rest of the goal to aim at. Town manager Jewell kicked a water bottle in frustration at his side’s continued failure to score enough goals.

Fulop dived to save from Yukubu in the 23rd minute as the action continued thick and fast with Ipswich having the majority of attacks.

Town paid the penalty for failing to take their chances when Leicester took a 26th minute lead. Healy was rather na�ve to allow his opponent to get goal side of him, and when the ball was played to the left touchline, Gallagher’s precise right-foot curling cross went over the head of Kennedy and landed perfectly for King to head high into the net at the far post.

Four minutes later, Leicester failed to clear a corner and when Wickham by-passed Weale with his cross, Scotland’s footing went awry in front of goal and he was unable to make any contact.

Fulop dived smartly to his left to beat away a fierce angled close range drive by substitute Tunchev in the 39th minute as Leicester took control.

And the Foxes extended their lead in the 42nd minute when Abe got free down the right. His accurate low cross was met neatly by King whose effort struck the foot of the post – with the ball rebounding smartly to be knocked instinctively into the net by Yakubu.

In first half stoppage time, the lively Martin set up Scotland, who turned his marker neatly enough but then shot straight at Weale with only the keeper to beat.

Leicester went straight up the other end, and Town’s players were left pointing accusing fingers at each other after being torn apart. King crossed from the left and Abe was all alone to side-foot beyond Fulop from 20 yards – the ball entering the net of the foot of the post.

Within seconds of the re-start, Wickham curled a deflected shot a foot wide of the far post, and from the resultant corner former Leicester defender McAuley failed to beat Weale with a close range header - his effort hitting a relieved keeper.

The Mexican Wave is a sure sign of boredom and this materialised as the second half proceeded although both sets of fans were out to enjoy their early afternoon.

Town won their tenth corner in the 66th minute, and Weale had to tip over a header from McAuley to bring another one.

This quickly led to the 12th and from Leadbitter’s kick Bruma clearly handled as he competed for the ball with Delaney. Leadbitter stepped up to score from the penalty spot – the ball entering the net off the foot of the keeper’s right hand post.

In the 70th minute it was 3-2 when a poor Leicester pass found Wickham who strode forward to beat Weale comprehensively with a sweet finish into the far corner. It was Wickham’s ninth goal of the season.

Two minutes later hopes of a remarkable Town recovery were dashed when Leicester broke down the left and after Fulop saved well with his boot from King’s close range shot, Kamara was on hand to net from the rebound.

Leadbitter was booked for a heavy foul on Yakubu and after a mass brawl Kamara also went into the book.

Town were still fighting and Norris and Wickham went close but the final minutes were academic apart from Wickham going close to a wonderful late solo goal with Jewell now setting about his task of improving resultrs for next season.


Leicester: Weale; Naughton, Vitor (Tunchev 29), Bruma, van Aanholt; King, Wellens (Oakley 77), Abe, Gallagher; Vassell (Kamara 27), Yakubu. Substitutes: Teixeira, Howard, Dyer, Smith.

Ipswich Town: Fulop; Edwards, McAuley, Delaney, Kennedy; Martin (Peters 73), Healy, Norris, Leadbitter, Wickham; Scotland (Carson 64. Substitutes: Lee-Barrett, Drury, Brown, Civelli, Murray.

Referee: Mr C Boyeson (East Yorkshire)

Attendance: 24,859 (1,259 Ipswich)




Leicester: Weale 7; Naughton 7, Vitor 6, Bruma 6, van Aanholt 7; King 8, Wellens 8, Abe 8, Gallagher 8; Vassell 5, Yakubu 6.

Ipswich Town: Fulop 7; Edwards 7, McAuley 6, Delaney 6, Kennedy 6; Martin 7, Healy 6, Norris 6, Leadbitter 6, Wickham 6; Scotland 5.



Leicester City 4

Goals: King 26, Yakubu 42, Abe 45, Kamara 72.

Bookings: Gallagher 33, Bruma 66, Kamara 74

Sent off: -

Shots on target: 8

Shots off target: 6

Woodwork: 1

Corners: 2

Free-kicks conceded (including off sides): 7

Ipswich Town 2

Goals: Leadbitter (pen) 70, Wickham 72,

Bookings: Martin 69, Leadbitter 74, Delaney 84.

Sent off: -

Shots on target: 8

Shots off target: 7

Woodwork: -

Corners: 13

Free-kicks conceded (including off sides): 14

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter