Town play down Shumi bust-up

IPSWICH Town are today playing down reports of a training ground bust-up between manager Jim Magilton and international midfielder Veliche Shumulikoski.

Derek Davis

By Derek Davis

IPSWICH Town are today playing down reports of a training ground bust-up between manager Jim Magilton and international midfielder Veliche Shumulikoski.

The Macedonian is understood to have been livid after Magilton refused to allow him to join Preston on loan but said he could join Watford or QPR.


You may also want to watch:


Although Magilton said he would allow Shumulikoski to go out on loan he denied QPR had been interested him and at the time they had no other offers for him.

Shumulikoski told Makedonski Sport: “They (Ipswich) were supposed to accept the offer from Preston North End and I should have had made my debut for them on Saturday. But it wasn't allowed by the manager Magilton. I was angry and I couldn't stand it anymore.

Most Read

“I want to play in a team that has ambitions for promotion in the Premier League. My wish was Preston but Ipswich forces me to go in Watford or QPR."

Town's chief executive Derek Bowden issued a statement saying: “Jim is aware of Shumi's frustrations at not playing at the moment and has sympathy with him because he knows the player just wants to be playing football. Jim has been in that situation himself as a player.

“He has said that he will consider loaning out Shumi but it will only be to a club that we feel is right for us and that Shumi is happy to join.

“Preston were keen to take him at the end of last week but clearly we will not be loaning any of our players to clubs that we see as competition for a place in the Play-Offs.

“I'm sure Shumi was disappointed that we didn't allow him to join Preston but equally he understands why.

“There has been media speculation that QPR have enquired about Shumi but we have received no contact from them. We understand there may be interest from Watford.”

Fulham are understood to have been interested in Shumulikoski in January but never made a formal bid for the Macedonian international with more than 50 caps to his name.

The 28-year-old has not started for Town in the Championship since the 1-0 win at Derby at the end of last year.

He has figured in the Blues 16 just once since being an unused sub on a seven man bench at Chelsea in the FA Cup in January.

derek.davis@eadt.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter