Town receive massive big game boost
IPSWICH TOWN: The Under-18’s were given a massive boost prior to Thursday’s FA Youth Cup game at Portman Road on Thursday night against Peterborough with a 3-2 victory at Charlton.
The Addicks had gone five matches unbeaten including victory over league leaders Norwich the previous week. With the cup match in mind Town left several regulars on the bench, but Caolan Lavery who had originally been named as a substitute was a last minute inclusion in place of Tom Winter. Josh Meekings and Callum Bennett made welcome returns after injury.
With their first attack Town opened the scoring when an unmarked Meekings powered home an unstoppable header. The same player prevented an equaliser with a saving tackle before Lavery was brought down in the box for what appeared to be an obvious penalty.
Minutes later Charlton were on terms when Tosan Popo turned well and fired into the roof of the net. With the Londoners on top Town were glad to hear the half-time whistle.
A double substitution saw Callum Bennett and Josh Carson on for Ipswich and ten minutes into the half they regained the lead; Lavery bursting clear to fire past the Charlton keeper.
Striker Tobi Sho-Silva came on for Charlton and with his first touch finished a fine move to put his team back on terms.
Both teams were looking for a winner and Osbourne headed inches wide of Connor O’Donnell’s goal with the keeper beaten. After 66 minutes Town earned a free kick on the edge of the Charlton box and Lavery fired home to clinch a fine win.
- 1 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 2 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 3 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 4 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 5 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 6 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 7 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-0 loss at Charlton
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Charlton loss
- 10 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
Ipswich’s next league match is on December 4 when Fulham are the visitors to Playford Road.
Ipswich: O’Conner, Meekings, McKeown, Jones, Maduako, Whight, Burke, Scotcher, Lavery, October, Tiofack Substitutes: Cropper, Bennett, Carson, Acott.