Town reserves extend winning run
Ipswich Reserves extended their fantastic winning run with a hard-earned 3-2 victory at Southend United yesterday afternoon.Jordan Rhodes bagged a brace, sandwiching a strike from Owen Garvan, as an experienced Town side chalked up their 12th win from 12 starts in the Pontin's Combination eastern division this season.
Ipswich Reserves extended their fantastic winning run with a hard-earned 3-2 victory at Southend United yesterday afternoon.
Jordan Rhodes bagged a brace, sandwiching a strike from Owen Garvan, as an experienced Town side chalked up their 12th win from 12 starts in the Pontin's Combination eastern division this season.
Rhodes converted a cross from Danny Haynes inside the first minute, and although the Shrimpers equalised before half-time, midfielder Garvan then restored Town's lead early in the second period. Back came the hosts with an equaliser, but 18-year-old front-runner Rhodes grabbed the winner with 10 minutes remaining.
You may also want to watch:
Other senior first teamers enjoying a run-out, in addition to Garvan and Haynes, were Sito, Fabian Wilnis and keeper Nick Colgan.
Colchester United Reserves were also in action yesterday, continuing their remarkable sequence of draws with a 1-1 score-line against Stevenage Borough. An error by keeper Mark Cousins had allowed Stevenage winger O'Sullivan to break the deadlock on 48 minutes, but teenager Fabian Quintyn latched onto Anthony Wordsworth's pass to net a 64th minute equaliser.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
The U's second string have now drawn nine of their 12 fixtures in the Combination this term. Having drawn eight of their first nine, they then recorded back-to-back wins at Southend and Grays before yesterday's Layer Road stalemate.