Town’s hearts broken by stoppage time leveller

Ipswich Town 1 Burnley 1

CLARKE Carlisle broke Ipswich Town’s hearts with a stoppage time equaliser in this Championship fixture at Portman Road on Saturday afternoon.

Blues’ captain fantastic David Norris netted his third goal of the season to put his side ahead against ten-man Burnley with five minutes to go to send Town fans into raptures.

Burnley had David Edgar sent off after 77 minutes for his second bookable offence, but the Blues were unable to unduly trouble Brian Jensen in the visiting goal until Norris struck.

A brilliant save by Marton Fulop – making his home debut – from Wade Elliot kept Burnley at bay in an entertaining first half when Town had plenty of the ball, but failed to seriously test Jensen.

It was a hard-working Ipswich display against a team that occasionally showed Premier League quality but with so many players out it was hard graft for Town.

Town made three changes from the side that won 3-1 at Middlesbrough in the opening day of the season.

Most Read

Carlos Edwards and Mark Kennedy dropped out through injury while Jon Walters was dropped after informing manager Roy Keane that he wants to leave Portman Road.

He has been stripped of the captaincy and relations between player and manager have become strained with the player set to move – probably to Stoke – soon.[.

In came Shane O’Connor to play at left-back with Jon Stead earning a start after impressing in the 3-2 after extra time Carling Cup win at League One Exeter City on Tuesday.

Andros Townsend made his Blues debut after signing on a season-long loan from Tottenham during the week. He wore the number 17 shirt and began on the left of midfield.

Relegated from the Premier League last season after one year in the top flight, Burnley were without the injured Tyrone Mills. They had won just twice away from home in the previous 17 months.

Inside the opening five minutes, Priskin had a close range effort blocked and a near-post shot that he blazed well over. But Burnley looked dangerous on the counter attack with the plan appearing to be to put pressure on left back O’Connor.

In his bright yellow boots, newcomer Townsend was busy wide in a three-pronged Town attack, and he dragged a 12th minute shot wide of the far post as the home team continued to look sharp.

Fulop was already having more to do than at Middlesbrough, and when Smith played Wallace onside, the pass across goal presented Elliot with a wonderful opportunity unmarked in front of goal. Fulop was up to his task rushing across goal and making a stunning block.

In the 32nd minute, a Burnley free-kick deflected off the Ipswich wall and when Townsend failed to clear, Iwelumo hooked a bouncing ball well over from six yards.

Three minutes later a raking pass by Stead found Townsend on the right and his low cross from the by-line ran across the six-yard box with Edgar clearing off the line from Stead’s angled effort from beyond the far post.

Townsend was impressing with his runs down either flank, and after more good work in the 44th minute led to Fox clearing nervously as Peters homed in for the kill.

Leadbitter took a knock in first half stoppage time, and his place was taken by Healy for the second period.

Possibly missing Leadbitter’s presence, Town took a while to get going again following an entertaining opening half.

Marney fired over from the edge of the area in the 60th minute from Burnley’s second corner with the pace having slackened with Town no doubt feeling the effects of their midweek exertions in Devon.

A poor 65th minute header by Carlisle after a hopeful ball forward by Hyam, gave Priskin a chance, but he mis-kicked from eight yards. Within seconds Priskin was denied a shot in front of goal and then Stead slammed the ball across goal with a hopeful Burnley boot clearing the danger.

The game had lost much of its bite and one goal looked as though it would win the match.

In the 78th minute, Edgar fouled Norris, and referee Hegley was quick to rush over and raise a yellow card – quickly followed by a red as the right back had already been cautioned once.

Town took the lead in the 85th minute when Healy’s corner was headed back across goal by McAuley. Stead nodded the ball down and skipper Norris back-heeled it into the net from close range.

Burnley won a corner as the match went into four minutes of stoppage time and from the kick, defender Carlisle got in a glancing header that zoomed into the top far corner of the goal.


Ipswich Town: Fulop; Peters, McAuley, Smith, O’Connor; Hyam; Leadbitter (Healy 46), Norris; Townsend (Murray 72), Stead, Priskin. Substitutes: Murphy, Hourihane, Eastman, Lambe, Ainsley.

Burnley: Jensen; Edgar, Bikey, Carlisle, Fox; Elliot, Alexander, Marney; Paterson (Easgles 67, Iwelumo (Thompson 73), Wallace. Substitutes: Grant, Cork, McDonald, Cort, Rodriguez.

Referee: Mr G Hegley (Hertfordshire)

Attendance: 19,317



Ipswich Town: Fulop 7; Peters 7, McAuley 7, Smith 7, O’Connor 6; Hyam 7; Leadbitter 6, Norris 8; Townsend 7, Stead 7, Priskin 6.

Burnley: Jensen 6; Edgar 5, Bikey 6, Carlisle 7, Fox 7; Elliot 6, Alexander 7, Marney 6; Paterson 5, Iwelumo 5, Wallace 6.



Ipswich Town 1

Goal: Norris 85

Bookings: -

Shots on target: 3

Shots off target: 6

Woodwork: 0

Corners: 4

Free-kicks conceded (including off sides): 13


Burnley 1

Goal: Carlisle 90

Bookings: Edgar 40 and 77, Fox 74,

Sent off: Edgar 77

Shots on target: 3

Shots off target: 7

Woodwork: 0

Corners: 5

Free-kicks conceded (including off sides): 15

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter