Town’s UEFA Cup trophy on show to public
THE Uefa Cup trophy won by Ipswich Town 30 years ago will be a focal point of anniversary celebrations held this Monday.
The silverware will be in Ipswich Town Hall on Bank Holiday Monday as part of the anniversary celebrations of the Blues winning the trophy in 1981.
The exhibition ‘Ipswich Town in Europe’ opened in the Ipswich Town Hall Galleries last weekend and a dinner to mark the win over AZ 67 Alkmaar will take place on Monday evening in the Corn Exchange Grand Hall with many of the cup-winning players in attendance.
Tickets are still available to watch the action from the grand hall balcony for the fantastic event organised by the Evening Star, Ipswich Borough Council and the football club.
The trophy will be in the exhibition gallery on Monday between 2pm and about 7pm while Town archivist, Pat Godbold, will be on hand to share her memories of working with nine Ipswich managers, as secretary to many of them including Sir Bobby Robson.
You may also want to watch:
Godbold said: “Having been directly involved with Ipswich Town for 57 years, I have not surprisingly gathered hundreds of wonderful memories of the club and its players and staff.
“I am really looking forward to the chance to share some of those memories and also to catch up again with friends and colleagues from the glory years of the late 1970s and early 1980s.”
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 9 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 10 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
Before the dinner, some of the players from the 1981 team will also be coming into the exhibition to have a look around the memorabilia and exhibits on display.
Ticket details for the reunion event, which will see past players interviewed about the fantastic achievement, are available from the Corn Exchange box office on 01473 433100.