Town teen turns down offer to stay at Ipswich
CALLUM Bennett, the only Town academy scholar to be recently offered professional terms, has turned down Ipswich Town’s offer of a one-year deal.
Blues boss Paul Jewell yesterday revealed the 19-year-old right-back had rejected the club’s initial offer, citing the fact he wanted “longer and better terms”.
Ipswich-born Bennett has also attracted interest from League One clubs and might feel his chances of first-team football might improve elsewhere.
When asked about the latest situation with Bennett, Jewell said: “He’s refused the contract, which is his right.
“We would like to keep Callum because we think he’s a good prospect, but he’s refused the offer and we’ll have to see where that takes us.
“There has been a bit of interest from a couple of League One clubs, his agent tells me. He’s well within his rights to say no.
“He was offered a one-year deal, but his representatives wanted longer and better terms, which I understand. Simon Clegg (Town chief executive) is dealing with that.”
- 1 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 2 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 3 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 4 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 5 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 6 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 7 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
- 8 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 9 Stu says: Six observations following 1-0 win at Burton
- 10 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
The situation mirrors that of former youth striker Caolan Lavery who left Ipswich earlier in the season after wanting a longer deal – leaving both Jewell and academy staff disappointed.
And Jewell said of Bennett: “I don’t want to discuss individual issues, but I’m old-fashioned and I always think the chance to be a professional footballer is a great opportunity.
“I understand his parents want the best for him though and I 100% agree with that.”