Town teen turns down offer to stay at Ipswich
CALLUM Bennett, the only Town academy scholar to be recently offered professional terms, has turned down Ipswich Town’s offer of a one-year deal.
Blues boss Paul Jewell yesterday revealed the 19-year-old right-back had rejected the club’s initial offer, citing the fact he wanted “longer and better terms”.
Ipswich-born Bennett has also attracted interest from League One clubs and might feel his chances of first-team football might improve elsewhere.
When asked about the latest situation with Bennett, Jewell said: “He’s refused the contract, which is his right.
“We would like to keep Callum because we think he’s a good prospect, but he’s refused the offer and we’ll have to see where that takes us.
You may also want to watch:
“There has been a bit of interest from a couple of League One clubs, his agent tells me. He’s well within his rights to say no.
“He was offered a one-year deal, but his representatives wanted longer and better terms, which I understand. Simon Clegg (Town chief executive) is dealing with that.”
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
The situation mirrors that of former youth striker Caolan Lavery who left Ipswich earlier in the season after wanting a longer deal – leaving both Jewell and academy staff disappointed.
And Jewell said of Bennett: “I don’t want to discuss individual issues, but I’m old-fashioned and I always think the chance to be a professional footballer is a great opportunity.
“I understand his parents want the best for him though and I 100% agree with that.”