Town Under-18s beaten by West Ham
JACK Marriott scored but Ipswich Under-18s went down 2-1 at league leaders West Ham.
Two goals from the Hammers’ Irish striker Kieran Sadlier sent Town home pointless from their visit to the Little Heath Academy.
American keeper Cody Cropper was a surprise inclusion in the Ipswich side that started brightly and Gunnar Thorsteinnson and Jack Simmons were both close to opening the scoring.
But on 23 minutes, the Hammers made them pay for missed chances when Sadlier broke clear to calmly lift the ball over Cropper for the opening goal.
Ten minutes later Town were on terms through Marriott following good work by Simmons and Callum Bennett.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides struck the woodwork and Aaron Jones made a terrific goalline clearance before Town, despite a flagging linesman, were denied a penalty when Marriott appeared to be fouled in the West Ham area.
A few minutes later Sadler produced a hammer blow with a 25-yard free-kick that left Cropper helpless.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
The three points saw the unbeaten Londoners maintain their place at the top of the academy league, but Town were unfortunate not to take something from the match.
Meanwhile, the Under-16s produced an outstanding display to beat the young Hammers 5-3.
Next Saturday sees the first East Anglian derby at Playford Road when Norwich City are the visitors (11am ko).
Team – Cropper, Jones, October, Leddy, Maduako, Whight, Thorsteinnson, Bennett, Simmons, Marriott, Lawrence
Subs. Acott, Tiofack, Winter