Town welcome back Lavery with winning goal
A THIRD minute goal from Caolan Lavery was enough to earn Ipswich Town victory over West Ham in an Under-18 fixture at Playford Road.
Town made two changes from the team that was defeated at Chelsea with Lewis Acott replacing the suspended Josh Carson and Lavery making his first start for three months after a serious knee injury.
With their first attack Ipswich forced a corner and Cormac Burke’s ball into the box was headed firmly into the Hammers’ net by an unmarked Lavery.
The Londoners were nearly on terms when Cody Cropper slipped as he was about to make a routine save, but Jide Maduako was on hand to clear the danger.
Robert Hall was the Londoners’ main threat and he fired inches past the Ipswich post after a great run. For Town, Cullum Bennett was making some surging runs down the right and twice went close to extending their lead. As half time approached Aaron Jones fired inches over and Burke struck a post.
You may also want to watch:
Carel Tiofack replaced Lavery after the break as West Ham came more into the game but the Ipswich defence with Josh Meekings outstanding were never seriously troubled.
At the other end Town’s attackers were too often caught off-side. Under-16 striker Jack Marriott came on and with his first touch shaved the post with a snap shot on the turn.
- 1 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 7 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
As the final whistle blew, Wooton in the Hammers goal made a tremendous save to tip a Burke shot wide.
On Saturday Town travel to Watford for a game that starts at 11am.
Ipswich: Cropper, Bennett, McKeown, Jones, Meekings, Maduako, Winter, Acott, Lavery, Burke, Whight. Substitutes: Scotcher, O’Donnell, Tiofack, October, Marriott.
West Ham became the latest side to try and fail to halt Ipswich Under16’s tremendous run, but the Town youngsters ran out comfortable 3-0 winners.