TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY LATEST: Pompey reject Town bid for Jason Pearce
IPSWICH Town have had a deadline day bid for Jason Pearce rejected by Portsmouth.
The centre-back has become Paul Jewell’s top target this month with Town submitting a reported four bids for the defender, as well as showing strong interest in team mates Joel Ward and Stephen Henderson.
But the Blues’ attempts to snap up the 24-year-old before tonight’s 11pm transfer deadline have been hit by cash-strapped Pompey’s resistance to sell.
The South Coast club have also rejected two other bids for Pearce from Championship clubs with the player himself saying at the weekend he didn’t want to move.
Ipswich must now decide whether to up their bid in the final hours of the window with chief executive Simon Clegg working through the night to get the protracted negotiations completed.
You may also want to watch:
Having looked a dead deal this morning, we understand the club are still looking to bring in one, two or maybe all three players from their divisional rivals.
But they might have to pay over the odds to get their main man – something most fans would support if it meant Pearce’s signature.
- 1 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 2 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 5 Matchday Live: Bonne thumps Town ahead at Lincoln
- 6 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 9 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 10 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy