TRANSFER LATEST: Jewell plans talks over James Coppinger plus latest on Ward, Pearce and Doyle
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell is ready to raid relegated Championship duo Portsmouth and Doncaster for players.
The Blues will finish another disappointing season somewhere between 15th and 17th in the Championship table following this lunchtime’s season finale at Doncaster.
And with Jewell having said this week that he is targeting at least six signings this summer, he has revealed he is ready to renew his previous interest in the versatile Joel Ward at Pompey and creative midfielder James Coppinger – who will line up against Ipswich today.
The Blues boss had a �300,000 bid for the latter rejected last May, while a January move for Ward got as far as talking personal terms before the south coast club pulled out of the switch.
However, with both teams now desperate to slash their wage bills following relegation to League One, Town look ready to pounce once again.
Asked if he would go back in for 31-year-old Coppinger, a direct-running midfielder who has hit top form on the right-wing in recent weeks, Jewell said: “Possibly. There’s a lot on the list.
“I’ll speak with Deano (Dean Saunders) at the game and see what the situation is; if he’s for sale, if he’s a free. I don’t know. He’s a good player Coppinger.”
- 1 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 2 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 3 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 4 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 5 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 6 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 7 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
- 8 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 9 Stu says: Six observations following 1-0 win at Burton
- 10 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
One former Town target who will definitely not be lining up for Ipswich next season is Ward’s team mate, centre back Jason Pearce, who Jewell revealed on Thursday was close to joining Neil Warnock at Leeds United.
We understand Pearce will not be playing in Portsmouth’s final Championship game of the season – away to Nottingham Forest.
And rumours linking Ipswich with a move for Birmingham City keeper Colin Doyle also appear wide of the mark.