TRANSFER LATEST: Joel Ward set to decide his future by Wednesday
PORTSMOUTH administrator Trevor Birch says the club expects Joel Ward to make a decision on his future by Wednesday.
Ipswich Town manager Paul Jewell came close to signing the versatile defender/midfielder in January, with the 22-year-old having been shown around Portman Road before his south coast employers pulled the plug on a move.
Having since gone into administration and been relegated to League One, Pompey are now being forced to sell their key assets.
And the EADT and Ipswich Star understands that five other Championship clubs – Leeds United, Blackpool, Burnley, Crystal Palace and Sheffield Wednesday – are all now battling the Blues for Ward’s signature, with a fee of around �500,000 believed to have been agreed.
When asked about Ward, Birch said: “We are still waiting for news on that situation – there has been no further movement.
You may also want to watch:
“Obviously I cannot be certain when it will go through but I would have thought it could be around the middle of this week.
“It has taken time. We have all been waiting on this one, hopefully it can go through soon.”
- 1 Matchday Live: Four goals in a busy first half
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 5 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 6 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 9 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
– For all the latest, see tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star.