TRANSFER LATEST: Joel Ward set to decide his future by Wednesday
PORTSMOUTH administrator Trevor Birch says the club expects Joel Ward to make a decision on his future by Wednesday.
Ipswich Town manager Paul Jewell came close to signing the versatile defender/midfielder in January, with the 22-year-old having been shown around Portman Road before his south coast employers pulled the plug on a move.
Having since gone into administration and been relegated to League One, Pompey are now being forced to sell their key assets.
And the EADT and Ipswich Star understands that five other Championship clubs – Leeds United, Blackpool, Burnley, Crystal Palace and Sheffield Wednesday – are all now battling the Blues for Ward’s signature, with a fee of around �500,000 believed to have been agreed.
When asked about Ward, Birch said: “We are still waiting for news on that situation – there has been no further movement.
“Obviously I cannot be certain when it will go through but I would have thought it could be around the middle of this week.
“It has taken time. We have all been waiting on this one, hopefully it can go through soon.”
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze near Suffolk recycling centre
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 3 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 4 Popular carnival's firework display cancelled
- 5 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 6 Road closed as emergency services called to single-vehicle crash
- 7 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their victory over MK Dons
- 8 Man suffers head injuries after being 'seriously' assaulted by 'several' men
- 9 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 10 'A really special effort' - McKenna's verdict on 3-0 win v MK Dons
– For all the latest, see tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star.