TRANSFER LATEST: Paul Jewell plays down George Boyd loan speculation
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell has dismissed speculation that a deal has already been struck to bring Peterborough United midfielder George Boyd to the club on loan.
The Blues had a joint-bid accepted for both Boyd and Paul Taylor last week, but they were only able to sign the latter after Boyd – one of the highest ever wage earners at London Road – rejected the switch.
Jewell said yesterday that he would be interested in trying to resurrect a deal when the loan window opens again a week on Monday, while this morning Posh director of football Barry Fry said he would be ‘open’ to such discussions.
It led to speculation in some quarters that a deal was already in place, but Jewell – speaking after his side’s 2-2 home draw with Huddersfield – said that is not the case.
He said: “I said yesterday that I wouldn’t rule out revisiting it because I like George Boyd, but there’s nothing lined up at the moment. It might happen, but there’s nothing in place.”
You may also want to watch:
Boyd played the entire 90 minutes as Peterborough lost 1-0 at Birmingham this afternoon, Darren Ferguson’s side having lost all four of their opening Championship games of the season.
Meanwhile, the Blues are still awaiting confirmation from the Football Association and Football League regarding the signing of French midfielder Cheick Kourouma. The club submitted all the relevant paperwork before Friday’s 11pm transfer deadline and hope to hand the long-term triallist a one-year deal.
- 1 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more