TRANSFER NEWS: Ipswich Town confirm the loan signing of Guirane N’Daw
IPSWICH Town have completed the signing of central midfielder Guirane N’Daw on a season-long loan from St Etienne.
The Senegalese international agreed terms on the switch and passed a medical at Portman Road last night and the move will be finalised, subject to FIFA International clearance, after all the paperwork is completed at Town’s end.
The 28-year-old – whose former clubs include Sochaux and Nantes in France, as well as Zaragoza in Spain – enjoyed a loan spell at Ipswich’s Championship rivals Birmingham City last season.
Having returned to France, he has not joined his new Town team-mates for today’s trip to the north west ahead of tomorrow’s game at Blackpool and Tuesday’s Capital one Cup clash at Carlisle, but could make his debut for the visit of Huddersfield next weekend.
Blues boss Paul Jewell spoke to Norwich manager Chris Hughton about the powerful midfielder’s time in England last year.
You may also want to watch:
And he revealed yesterday that he sees the 6ft 3in powerhouse as the man to add some muscle to his midfield, despite the fact that he can also operate at centre-back.
“I’m delighted to add Guirane to the squad and he’s coming here for a year,” said Jewell. “We’ve been trying to get him for a while, so I’m pleased to finally bring him in.
- 1 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 2 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 5 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 6 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
“I’ve said many times that we look a little vulnerable at set-pieces and he will bring some physical presence and stature to the squad, something you need for the rigours of a Championship season.
“He’s a good addition to the squad but first he will need to earn the right to get into the side.
“Guirane has a good pedigree in the game and has played for Zaragoza, Sochaux and obviously St Etienne. He also played for Birmingham last season and I know Chris Hughton speaks highly of him, so we’re very pleased to add him to the ranks.”
N’Daw could miss at least four games for Ipswich in January and February – against Barnlsey, Bristol City, Middlesbrough and Blackburn – if Senegal qualify for the African Cup of Nations in South Africa. Senegal play a two-legged make-or-break qualifier against the Ivory Coast on September 8 and October 11. No Championship matches are scheduled for those dates.