TRANSFER RUMOUR: Ipswich Town trying to hijack Middlesbrough’s bid for George Friend
IPSWICH are considering a last-gasp bid to entice Doncaster defender George Friend to Portman Road, we understand.
The 24-year-old, who can play either centre-back or left-back, is close to agreeing a switch to Tony Mowbray’s Middlesbrough after an offer – believed to be around �250,000 – was accepted.
But Paul Jewell is looking to hijack the move with relegated Rovers happy to sit tight for now in the hope that the price goes up.
The Blues boss might look to use his close friendship with Doncaster boss Dean Saunders and the League One manager predicted interest to heat up.
Saunders said: “George is a good man, he has a great attitude and he’s a great athlete. I’ll be disappointed to see him go. But we have to cut our cloth accordingly and we’ve agreed a fee with Middlesbrough, although I’m still expecting more interest from other clubs.”
You may also want to watch:
Town fans will hope the fact the Blues have been linked with a left-sided defender will not add credence to the rumours surrounding Aaron Cresswell and Damien Delaney.
The left-back, last season’s supporters’ player of the year, has been the subject of interest from Aston Villa although we understand Jewell has slapped a �6 million price tag on his prized asset.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 8 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
Delaney was also linked with a move away overnight with Nottingham Forest said to be readying a bid.