Trio of reported targets move elsewhere
A TRIO of centre-backs Ipswich Town had been linked with moved to Championship rivals ahead of last night’s 11pm transfer deadline.
Blues boss Paul Jewell had previously confirmed that he’d made enquiries to West Brom about Pablo Ibanez, but the Spandiard last night completed a late switch to Birmingham for an undisclosed fee.
Everton teenager Shane Duffy – a Republic of Ireland Under-21 international – had admitted that he’s welcome a loan move to Portman Road last month, but he’s joined Scunthorpe on a one-month loan.
Celtic’s Jos Hooiveld was also reportedly interesting Ipswich, but the Dutchman – who was also said to be attracting Crystal Palace – has joined Southampton on loan until January.
While Jewell failed to add to his eleven summer signings yesterday a number of other Championship clubs completed a lot of business – including this month’s opponents Blackpool, Coventry and West Ham.
You may also want to watch:
The Tangerines, who failed in a bid to sign Town striker Jason Scotland, instead brought in Serbian striker Daniel Bogdanovic from League One side Sheffield Wednesday for an undisclosed fee.
Ian Holloway has also signed right-back James Hurst on loan from West Brom, the 19-year-old having impressed on his Baggies debut at Portman Road in the Carling Cup quarter-final last season.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 10 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
Coventry have signed striker Cody McDonald from Norwich for an undisclosed fee. The 25-year-old – who was playing for Essex non-league side Witham Town just three years ago – has been snapped up after scoring 25 goals on loan at League Two side Gillingham last season.
Ipswich travel to West Ham on Tuesday, September 27 and, although the Hammers have lost talisman midfielder Scott Parker to Tottenham, they have replaced him with some good signings.
The experienced David Bentley and Henri Lansbury– having done so well at Norwich last season – arrive on loan from Spurs and Arsenal respectively.
Other significant business in the Championship included Leicester continuing their big spending with the acquisition of striker Jermaine Beckford from Everton for a fee of �3m and Leeds selling highly-rated winger Max Gradel to French side St Etienne.