Trotter still waiting as Bees eye up duo

LIAM Trotter is still waiting to hear if he is to be offered a contract extension by Ipswich Town.

Elvin King

LIAM Trotter is still waiting to hear if he is to be offered a contract extension by Ipswich Town.

The 20-year-old was the last of the 13 players out of contract at Portman Road this summer to have talks with manager Roy Keane.

He may now have to wait until after the weekend to find out where his future lies.

Fellow Coca-Cola Championship club Scunthorpe are poised to offer the ex-Northgate School pupil a deal if Keane feels the elegant midfielder is surplus to requirements.

Trotter was on loan to the Iron for the latter part of the season and helped them win the League One play-off final at Wembley Stadium against Millwall.

Most Read

Even if he is offered a deal by Keane, Trotter will no doubt weigh up his options with his chances of regular first team football less likely at Portman Road than Glanford Park.

But if Keane gives the former West Suffolk College Soccer School pupil a chance to stay, cash-strapped Scunthorpe would face the prospect of having to pay a transfer fee if the Town academy product turned down the Blues offer.

Brentford manager Andy Scott wants to sign former Town striker Billy Clarke. And he also fancies taking fellow front man Jordan Rhodes on loan against at Griffin Park.

Both were on loan at promoted Brentford last term and created a good impression.

“Billy is one of the centre-forwards I'm interested in,” confirmed Scott. “I spoke to him at the end of last season, and we're monitoring what's happening with him.”

League Two Notts County have already made the Irish Under-21 international an offer, while Championship Sheffield Wednesday are also in the hunt.

Reflecting on Rhodes' position, Scott said: “I've made it clear I'd like to have Jordan back, and he's said he wants to give it a go at Ipswich.

“He's still getting over his foot injury, so we'll wait and see if that's possible when it's cleared up.”

Rhodes is contracted to Town until 2011 and netted seven goals in 14 games for the Bees before breaking a metatarsal in March, leading to Clarke's spell at Griffin Park as his replacement.