Two-goal hero Freddie Sears thanks Ipswich Town fans for their ‘brilliant’ support
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich striker Freddie Sears has thanked Town fans for their ‘brilliant’ support this evening.
Sears scored two goals for The Blues, in a 3-0 win over Wigan Athletic tonight, as they moved nine points clear of the Championship relegation zone.
“The fans were brilliant tonight and they were with us from minute one,” said Sears, who scored his fourth and fifth goals of the season against the Latics.
“It’s been tough lately, but it was good tonight, and when we get a few goals, it helps (the atmosphere).
“They (the fans) were brilliant at the end when they were clapping us off too, so, we (as a group of players), send our thanks to them.”
Sears continued: “It always helps when fans are positive and we are trying to be positive.
“Goals change games, they breed more confidence and then everyone is delighted.”
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 6 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 7 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 8 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 9 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
- 10 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
Of his brace, two clinical finishes in either half, following defensive mistakes, Sears said: “I’m really happy.
“It’s been a while since I scored a double, and I probably should have scored a hat-trick to be honest.
“I’m delighted to score twice, but the most important thing was the three points.
“We did it in a bit of style. To win 3-0 and to score three at home is great, it doesn’t happen too often, I think Blackburn (a 3-2 win on January 14) was the last time.”
Sears was also delighted to see David McGoldrick on the scoresheet, for the first time since netting in the 3-2 win at Wigan in mid-December.
“Didsy was brilliant tonight,” said the striker. “He scored one and set up two so he’s back to his old self.
“He’s had a lot of injury troubles, but he’s looking good at the minute and we are grateful to have him in the team.”
Another individual Sears, alongside his team-mates, is grateful to have in the team is goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski, who again made some superb saves to preserve Town’s lead.
“Bart’s pulled off three or four good saves, we all know how good he is,” added Sears.
“The clean sheet was important, and hopefully we can now go onto get a result at Fulham. It’s a tough place to go, but we will go there with confidence.”