Under-18s knocked out of FA Youth Cup
- Credit: James Ager
FIRST half goals from Tom Winter and Mark Timlin were not enough for Ipswich Town’s under-18s team, as they were defeated 3-2 at Derby County, in the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup on Wednesday evening.
The Blues looked set to be heading towards extra-time at Pride Park, but Jamie Hanson’s 25-yard free-kick, 11 minutes from time, saw the Rams edge past Russell Osman’s team.
Town took the lead after 12 minutes when Winter tapped home from close range after Jack Marriott’s shot was parried by home ‘keeper Ross Etheridge.
Derby equalised via Rhys Sharpe’s 28th-minute penalty and took the lead in first half stoppage time, through Andy Dales.
However, Town hit back before the break, Timlin firing home from close range, after Etheridge again failed to hold a shot, to make it 2-2.
After the game, Osman said: “I thought we gave it a fair go tonight and the lads started the game very well,” Russell told the Club website.
“We got ourselves in front with a good goal and created a few more chances after that. If we had converted a few of those chances then it may have been a different story.
- 1 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 2 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 3 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 4 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 5 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 6 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 7 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
- 8 'I'm not bothered... he can go' - Pearson on Town target Bakinson
- 9 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 10 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
“We knew it was going to be a tough challenge, as Derby have some very good players, but on the whole I thought we gave it a good shot.
“It’s something our lads can learn from and overall I thought it was a good, entertaining game.”
Derby host Manchester City in round five.