Under-pressure Jewell confronted fan before draw at Brighton
UNDER-PRESSURE Ipswich Town boss Paul Jewell has revealed he confronted a disgruntled supporter ahead of last night’s 1-1 draw at Brighton.
Following disappointing performances against Charlton and Barnsley, the Blues put in a much-improved display against one of the division’s most attack-minded sides.
Back-to-back away draws relieves some of the pressure that was beginning to build on Jewell’s shoulders following three successive defeats, though it is still eight games without victory.
And with Peterborough beating Barnsley last night, Town are just one point off the foot of the Championship table following nine league games.
“I’m a big boy, I’ve been around the block and I know how it works,” said Jewell, who was issued a vote of confidence by owner Marcus Evans last week.
“A guy told me to resign as I got off the coach today. It was quite interesting though because he only said it after I got around the corner. I thought that was really brave of him – and I told him that.
“I understand that’s the way people are at the moment, but I think we’ve seen that the players are giving everything they’ve got.
- 1 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 2 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 3 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 4 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 5 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 6 Suffolk brand worn by pop star Ed Sheeran opens new store
- 7 Village set for 33 new homes after planners approve project
- 8 'Absolutely awful': Anger as rubbish left dumped near beauty spot
- 9 All four wheels stolen from BMW car parked outside home
- 10 'A really strong side' - Manning praises Town after defeat
“If it gets to the stage where I think the players aren’t giving everything that they’ve got then it will be time for me to move on, but even in the defeats we’ve had I don’t think we’ve ever thrown the towel in.”