UPDATED: Bristol City sign Ipswich Town target Steve Davies
PAUL Jewell will now have to turn his attentions to other striking targets after divisional rivals Bristol City announced the signing of the 24-year-old.
We understand Davies would have preferred to join Ipswich but the club and Derby were unable to agree a fee following weeks of negotiations.
This left Bristol City to steal a march and sign the striker for around �750,000 – while also considering a bid for QPR frontman DJ Campbell.
Davies has signed a three-year deal at Ashton Gate after the two clubs agreed a fee for his services on Sunday evening, subject to FA and Football League approval.
At the end of last season, Davies revealed he wanted to leave the Rams rather than sign a new extended deal at Pride Park.
You may also want to watch:
This started a game of cat-and-mouse between Jewell and Derby boss Nigel Clough with the two clubs initially poles apart in terms of the fee.
Ipswich launched a fresh bid for Davies at the end of last week with Jewell, who was originally confident of it being accepted, confirming on Saturday that it had been turned down.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 3 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 4 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 5 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 6 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 9 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 10 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
Derby have since signed Wigan striker Conor Sammon for an estimated �1.2 million.