UPDATED: Ipswich Town complete loan signing of Hull City striker Aaron McLean
IPSWICH Town have signed Hull City striker Aaron McLean on loan until the end of the season after the striker’s move to Millwall was called off.
Having failed to make the Tiger’s 18-man squad for the last two games, the 29-year-old had been subject to interest from the Lions this week.
However, it’s understood that manager Steve Bruce was not keen to allow his player to join a side that are just nine points behind his own second-place outfit.
Blues boss Mick McCarthy quickly stepped in to strengthen his front line, having seen DJ Campbell – scorer of 10 goals in 17 games – return to parent club QPR and target man Tyrone Barnett having seen a recent loan switch from Peterborough United cut short through injury.
In addition, Nottingham Forest striker David McGoldrick – scorer of 17 goals in 22 league games during a recent loan spell at League One side David McGoldrick – has also joined on loan until the end of the season with view to a permanent move.
Having started out in non-league, London-born McLean made his name at Peterborough, scoring 67 goals in 148 appearances, helping them earn promotion to League One and forming a deadly partnership with Craig Mackail-Smith.
A �1.3m move to Hull followed in the 2011 January transfer window, but while he won over fans with his work-rate a return of nine goals in 76 games has seen him slip down the pecking order following the arrivals of Sone Aluko and Nick Proschwitz.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-0 Bolton loss
- 6 McKenna on Walton, Bonne and signing a new defender after Nsiala exit
- 7 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
- 8 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 9 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 10 'Concentration is massive' - McKenna on Town's 2-0 Bolton loss
Without a goal since October 6, McLean has started just one of the last 14 games and has failed to make the squad for the last two matches. He still has 18-months left on his deal at the KC Stadium and Hull would be looking to recuperate as much of their �1.3m outlay should he move on permanently this summer.
Meanwhile, Tranmere Rovers defender Zoumana Bakayogo has also been linked with a Town switch.