UPDATED: Teenage defender Tyrone Mings completes move from Chippenham Town
IPSWICH Town manager Mick McCarthy says it took him just five minutes to decide that he wanted to sign teenage triallist Tyrone Mings from non-league side Chippenham Town.
The 19-year-old – who is 6ft 3in tall and can play at left-back or centre-back – impressed on trial, catching the eye of McCarthy in a 2-1 reserve team defeat to a Nike Academy side on Monday.
He was first brought to the attention of the club due to the fact that Toby Osman – son of Town Under-18 boss Russell – plays for the Wiltshire side, who ply their trade at Step Three of the non-league pyramid (Southern League Premier Division).
Ming’s father, Adie, was the former manager at Chippenham, but left to become a scout at Chelsea in September. The deal includes a pre-season friendly between Ipswich and Chippenham next summer.
“He played in the reserve game the other day,” said McCarthy. “Russell (Osman) and Steve McCall watched him, we invited him to come in and play and he did well.
“He came through Southampton’s academy – he’s not somebody who’s just suddenly emerged and that helps. I was really pleased with him on Monday.
“We’ll see how well he does. I’ve only seen him for an hour and 10 minutes, but I decided after five minutes that I wanted him.”
- 1 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 2 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 3 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 4 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 5 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 6 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 7 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 8 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 9 'I'm not bothered... he can go' - Pearson on Town target Bakinson
- 10 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
Mings has been handed squad number 15 and could travel with the rest of the squad for Saturday’s Championship trip to Leeds United in order to get know his new team-mates.
A statement on Chippenham Town’s official Twitter feed reads: “We wish Tyrone all the best for the rest of his career and thank him for his work this season.”