UPDATED: Teenage defender Tyrone Mings completes move from Chippenham Town
IPSWICH Town manager Mick McCarthy says it took him just five minutes to decide that he wanted to sign teenage triallist Tyrone Mings from non-league side Chippenham Town.
The 19-year-old – who is 6ft 3in tall and can play at left-back or centre-back – impressed on trial, catching the eye of McCarthy in a 2-1 reserve team defeat to a Nike Academy side on Monday.
He was first brought to the attention of the club due to the fact that Toby Osman – son of Town Under-18 boss Russell – plays for the Wiltshire side, who ply their trade at Step Three of the non-league pyramid (Southern League Premier Division).
Ming’s father, Adie, was the former manager at Chippenham, but left to become a scout at Chelsea in September. The deal includes a pre-season friendly between Ipswich and Chippenham next summer.
“He played in the reserve game the other day,” said McCarthy. “Russell (Osman) and Steve McCall watched him, we invited him to come in and play and he did well.
You may also want to watch:
“He came through Southampton’s academy – he’s not somebody who’s just suddenly emerged and that helps. I was really pleased with him on Monday.
“We’ll see how well he does. I’ve only seen him for an hour and 10 minutes, but I decided after five minutes that I wanted him.”
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 5 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 6 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 7 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 8 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 9 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
Mings has been handed squad number 15 and could travel with the rest of the squad for Saturday’s Championship trip to Leeds United in order to get know his new team-mates.
A statement on Chippenham Town’s official Twitter feed reads: “We wish Tyrone all the best for the rest of his career and thank him for his work this season.”