Updated Video and gallery: Ipswich Town team in high spirits on Dublin pre-season tour
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy said spirits are high in the Blues’ camp ahead of today’s first pre-season friendly, against Shelbourne, in Dublin.
Town have been in Ireland since the start of the week, staying at Carton House, and finish off their tour with a game against Kevin Doherthy’s team, at Tolka Park, today (3pm).
“It’s been a great week, the lads have come back and really been right at in the sessions we’ve put on,” said McCarthy.
“They’ve impressed us all in how fit they’ve come back and you can see from the tempo of training that they are doing well.
“The facilities out here are second to none and that really helps. We’ve got the best pitches available to us, the gymnasium is superb and the staff here really look after us.
“The lads are really putting the work in as we build up to the season and they will be able to get out onto the grass tomorrow against Shelbourne.
“As well as working hard, they also need their downtime and to bond as a group.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 4 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 5 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 6 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 7 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 8 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 9 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 10 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
“We gave them Wednesday off and a few of them had a round of golf here at Carton House, some of the lads went to the cinema. It’s all part of it and spirits are high.”
Report from Saturday’s game can be found in Monday’s Archant publications.