VIDEO: Ipswich hope to sign Rangers and USA midfielder Maurice Edu
IPSWICH Town are hopeful of signing Rangers and USA midfielder Maurice Edu before the start of the new season.
The Green’Un understands that Blues boss Paul Jewell has enquired about the 26-year-old, with the Scottish giants under pressure to lower their wage bill following a dramatic relegation to the third tier.
Asked about the player, Jewell – speaking at today’s open training session at Portman Road – said: “We are interested in a midfield player but we don’t want to comment on speculation as he’s a Rangers player.”
The son of Nigerian immigrants, Edu was born in Calfornia. A highly successful college player he was drafted to Canadian side Toronto – as first pick – in 2007, before quickly being snapped up by Rangers a year later in a �2.6m deal.
The 37-capped US international has made over 100 appearances for Rangers over the last three seasons. He drew plaudits during his Champions League debut against Manchester United two seasons’ ago, also scoring at both ends in a draw against Spanish side Valencia in that European campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Rangers manager Ally McCoist yesterday admitted he was resigned to Edu and team mate Alejandro Bedoya departing Ibrox, saying: “It looks like Maurice and Alejandro will be leaving.”
Meanwhile, neither Jimmy Bullard nor Jaime Peters were present for this morning’s official 2012/13 Ipswich Town squad photo or took part in the open training session which followed. The Green’Un understands that both are close to leaving the club.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 4 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 5 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 6 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 7 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 8 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
Jewell, who will not comment on the aforementioned duo until Monday, revealed following Wednesday night’s 2-1 pre-season win at Colchester United that he’d had bids for two different players rejected last weekend.