VIDEO: Luke Chambers signs for Ipswich Town
LUKE Chambers has today put pen to paper on a three-year deal with Ipswich Town.
The ex-Nottingham Forest captain trained with his new team mates for the first time today before officially becoming Paul Jewell’s second signing of the summer.
Chambers said: “I’m delighted to be an Ipswich Town player. I spoke to a few people in the game that know the manager and Ipswich and they had nothing but good words to say. Coming here was a no-brainer for me.”
Jewell added: “There were a few clubs in for Luke but I always felt confident we would get him and I’m delighted we have.”
The signing was turning into something of a saga after the ex-Nottingham Forest captain passed a medical at Portman Road last Tuesday but asked for more time before committing himself to the club.
You may also want to watch:
But any concern that this might see the 26-year-old’s head turned elsewhere have come to nothing after Chambers arrived at Town’s Playford Road training ground this morning with a press conference called for 4pm today.
It comes as Forest legend Garry Birtles backs the defender’s decision after he endured a difficult season last year – 12 months after being named player of the year.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
Writing in the Nottingham Post, Birtles said: “In leaving Nottingham Forest, he has made exactly the right decision.
“Don’t misunderstand me. I didn’t want to see the big defender leave the City Ground. Chambers was not at his best through much of the campaign. But who was?
“He is still one of the most solid defenders in the Championship. I’d would have loved to have seen him pull on a red shirt again next season.
“I won’t get much pleasure out of seeing him playing for Ipswich instead. But I’m sure he will be a good signing for them.”
Chambers will become Jewell’s second signing of the summer after young right-back Elliott Hewitt joined from Macclesfield Town.
- Keep checking this website today for updates on Luke Chambers proposed move to Ipswich