VIDEO & MICK REACTION: Australian international winger set to sign for Ipswich Town
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town are close to signing Australian international winger Tommy Oar.
The free agent, once dubbed the new Harry Kewell, will arrive in Suffolk tomorrow, spent five years with Dutch club Utrecht, having started his career with Brisbane Road.
The deal is not yet done, but McCarthy is confident that the Queensland wideman will sign.
The news about Oar comes hot on the heels of Town’s capture of Polish international defender Piotr Malarcyzk.
Manager Mick McCarthy said: “Tommy Oar is a winger we are signing from Utrecht, so we are taking him on a free.
You may also want to watch:
“We have done plenty of due diligence on him, I was speaking to Jan Wouters about him, and he gave him a glowing report.
“It’s to push for the first team, he’s a full Australian international.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
“I am well aware that we have got two outstanding wingers and neither are ours. We have got great competition at the moment and Ryan (Fraser) and Ainsley (Maitland-Niles) are holding down the positions.
“Everyone saw Larsen Toure at Doncaster, he is a very good player, while Tommy Oar will add to that competition. He is quick and direct and puts crosses in, but he tracks back and does the dirty work as well.”