VIDEO & MICK REACTION: Australian international winger set to sign for Ipswich Town
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town are close to signing Australian international winger Tommy Oar.
The free agent, once dubbed the new Harry Kewell, will arrive in Suffolk tomorrow, spent five years with Dutch club Utrecht, having started his career with Brisbane Road.
The deal is not yet done, but McCarthy is confident that the Queensland wideman will sign.
The news about Oar comes hot on the heels of Town’s capture of Polish international defender Piotr Malarcyzk.
Manager Mick McCarthy said: “Tommy Oar is a winger we are signing from Utrecht, so we are taking him on a free.
“We have done plenty of due diligence on him, I was speaking to Jan Wouters about him, and he gave him a glowing report.
“It’s to push for the first team, he’s a full Australian international.
- 1 'It's a contractual issue' - McKenna explains Simpson recall
- 2 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich players performed in their 2-0 Wimbledon win
- 4 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 5 'It was worth it!' - Town co-owner has a celebration scar
- 6 AFC Wimbledon 0-2 Ipswich Town: It's Burns Night as winger inspires win
- 7 'I lost my patience... that's how I roll' - Holt apology for 'derogatory' Morsy comments
- 8 Revealed: The biggest carbon dioxide polluters in Suffolk
- 9 'I'm almost getting fed goals on a plate... there's no better feeling' - Town match-winner Burns loving life at Ipswich
- 10 'It wasn't perfect... we can't rest on our laurels' - McKenna on Wimbledon win
“I am well aware that we have got two outstanding wingers and neither are ours. We have got great competition at the moment and Ryan (Fraser) and Ainsley (Maitland-Niles) are holding down the positions.
“Everyone saw Larsen Toure at Doncaster, he is a very good player, while Tommy Oar will add to that competition. He is quick and direct and puts crosses in, but he tracks back and does the dirty work as well.”