Video: Town set to gazump Leeds a second time with new signing
PREMIER League midfielder Keith Andrews is set to join the Paul Jewell revolution just four days before the start of the Championship season.
The 30-year-old Republic of Ireland international is being hunted by Ipswich Town on a season-long loan after falling down the pecking order at Blackburn Rovers.
As Jewell continues his search for new defenders, the planned capture of Andrews will surprise some especially after reports at the weekend that the experienced midfielder was close to completing a switch to Town’s Championship rivals Leeds United.
But a source close to the player said: “Keith will be going out on loan this season and Ipswich are the favourites.”
If Andrews completes his move to Portman Road, something that is expected over the next 24 hours or so, he will become Jewell’s eighth new signing in a hugely productive summer – and the second loan deal following David Stockdale’s move from parent club Fulham.
You may also want to watch:
It will also be the second time Town have gazumped Leeds after the Elland Road club originally looked favourites to land the 25-year-old keeper.
Andrews has made almost 300 appearances for the likes of Wolves, MK Dons and Blackburn. scoring 30 goals, while also winning 20 international caps.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 4 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 5 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 8 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 9 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 10 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
The signing of another midfield suggests any pursuit of Jimmy Bullard has now bitten the dust despite the former Town loanee reportedly being ordered to stay away by Hull City after the conclusion of his two-week suspension for a breach of discipline.