VOTE: Who is your Ipswich Town player of the year?
AARON Cresswell and Carlos Edwards are the red-hot favourites to win this year’s Supporters’ Player of the Year trophy.
But it will not stop the arguments raging over which of the full-backs has performed best or whether there are other contenders for the crown.
The voting for the competition, run by the Ipswich Town Official Supporters Club, began on Sunday.
And while another season of mid-table mediocrity is on the cards, debates are already raging over the fans’ choice for best player.
Early indications from the Supporters’ Club online poll suggest it is a two-horse race between Cresswell and Edwards.
It is perhaps ironic that in a season where Town’s defending has often bordered on the ridiculous, two full-backs are the early favourites.
But Cresswell has impressed everyone in his first season at the club while Edwards, who like the left-back has been a virtual ever-present, has won over many supporters who doubted his defensive abilities.
- 1 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 2 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 3 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 4 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 5 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 6 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 7 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
- 8 Stu says: Six observations following 1-0 win at Burton
- 9 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 10 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
An improved showing in the second half of the season should also see Lee Martin, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Tommy Smith in the running while top scorer Michael Chopra could get votes after finally ending the club’s search for a fox in the box while also battling public problems off-the-pitch.
Last year’s surprise winner was loanee Jimmy Bullard but fellow short-stayers Keith Andrews and David Stockdale are unlikely to follow his lead, despite impressing before their deals ended.
The winner will be announced at the Supporters Club’s players awards evening on April 21 after the final home match of the Championship season against Millwall.