VOTE: Who is your Ipswich Town player of the year?
AARON Cresswell and Carlos Edwards are the red-hot favourites to win this year’s Supporters’ Player of the Year trophy.
But it will not stop the arguments raging over which of the full-backs has performed best or whether there are other contenders for the crown.
The voting for the competition, run by the Ipswich Town Official Supporters Club, began on Sunday.
And while another season of mid-table mediocrity is on the cards, debates are already raging over the fans’ choice for best player.
Early indications from the Supporters’ Club online poll suggest it is a two-horse race between Cresswell and Edwards.
You may also want to watch:
It is perhaps ironic that in a season where Town’s defending has often bordered on the ridiculous, two full-backs are the early favourites.
But Cresswell has impressed everyone in his first season at the club while Edwards, who like the left-back has been a virtual ever-present, has won over many supporters who doubted his defensive abilities.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 6 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 7 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
An improved showing in the second half of the season should also see Lee Martin, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Tommy Smith in the running while top scorer Michael Chopra could get votes after finally ending the club’s search for a fox in the box while also battling public problems off-the-pitch.
Last year’s surprise winner was loanee Jimmy Bullard but fellow short-stayers Keith Andrews and David Stockdale are unlikely to follow his lead, despite impressing before their deals ended.
The winner will be announced at the Supporters Club’s players awards evening on April 21 after the final home match of the Championship season against Millwall.