Wabara plans on shining at Ipswich
REECE Wabara has no intention of simply making up the numbers at Ipswich Town.
The 19-year-old right-back is one of English football’s rising stars, having been handed a three-year contract by big-spending Manchester City and representing England at the Under-20 World Cup recently.
And having already shared a pitch with the likes of world stars such as Carlos Tevez, Yaya Toure and Edin Dzeko in the Premier League, he has arrived at the Blues on loan with the intention of catching City boss Roberto Mancini’s eye.
“The manager (Mancini) has told me that’s it important for me to shine wherever I play now if I want to get in his team,” said Wabara, who made a late cameo appearance in Saturday’s 3-1 win over Brighton before playing 90 minutes in a 1-1 reserve team draw against Watford yesterday afternoon.
“That’s my ultimate goal so I have got to have confidence in my own ability.
You may also want to watch:
“Of course there are times when I’ve looked around in training and thought ‘wow, these are some of the best players in the world’, but the star-struck element has kind of worn off now because I’ve been with their first team players since the age of 17.
“As a player you can’t worry about what others have done in the game, you just have to have belief in yourself if you are going to stand any chance of emulating them.”
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 5 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 7 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 8 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 9 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 10 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
Town manager Paul Jewell has named an unchanged side for the last four games, with right-back Carlos Edwards impressing during a run which has seen a return of 10 points from a possible 12.
The Trinidadian is due in court over motoring charges next week though, with Jewell keen to keep the 32-year-old on his toes with some fresh competition.
– Why Wabara’s planning a change of boots. Keep an eye on www.greenun24.co.uk.