We can beat Premier League clubs to Keith Andrews signing, says Jewell
IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell believes he can beat two Premier League clubs to the signature of Blackburn midfielder Keith Andrews.
The Republic of Ireland international will miss the final game of his loan spell at Town tomorrow – an FA Cup third round tie at Hull City – due to a torn hamstring.
Having scored nine goals and captained the side for a spell, Jewell is keen to sign Andrews permanently during this month’s transfer window.
A host of Premier League clubs – including Aston Villa, Everton, Wigan, Norwich and Swansea – have been linked with his signature though, with two top-flight clubs having already opened talsk with the player’s agent.
“I believe his (Andrews) agent has met with a couple of Premier League teams this week,” said Jewell.
You may also want to watch:
“I do think we’ve still got a chance though. He needs to play regular with the European Championships coming up and I think he enjoyed his time here.
“There are a lot of pluses on our side, but if a Premier League team offers him a good deal he’ll obviously have to consider that.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
“Marcus Evans has spoken to his agent. We’re in there fighting for his signature.”
– For full match preview of Hull v Ipswich, see tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star.