We deserved three points says Charlton boss Chris Powell
Ipswich v Charlton: Addicks boss Chris Powell has praised the “class” performance of Ricardo Fuller following his side’s win at Portman Road.
Fuller, a Town target in the summer, scored what proved to be the winner, just two minutes after Johnnie Jackson had opened the scoring in the second half.
Jason Scotland’s deflected strike threatened a comeback but Charlton – led by Haverhill-born Michael Morrison – largely kept Ipswich at bay.
Powell was understandably delighted after seeing his side leave the Championship’s bottom three with their first win on the road.
He said: “It has been a tough time for ourselves and, obviously, for Ipswich recently.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a game, I’m sure, Paul (Jewell) looked at it as an opportunity to get back on track – and so did I.
“I am very pleased that we were the ones that came out on top and I felt over the 90 minutes we deserved it. “Getting the first goal gives you a foothold in the game and it means the other team has to change their tactics. And then Ricardo Fuller showed his class with a great individual effort.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
“We watched Ipswich on Wednesday (the 2-0 defeat by Wolves) and we thought there would be a response (from them). But I felt we weathered the storm.”