We deserved three points says Charlton boss Chris Powell
Ipswich v Charlton: Addicks boss Chris Powell has praised the “class” performance of Ricardo Fuller following his side’s win at Portman Road.
Fuller, a Town target in the summer, scored what proved to be the winner, just two minutes after Johnnie Jackson had opened the scoring in the second half.
Jason Scotland’s deflected strike threatened a comeback but Charlton – led by Haverhill-born Michael Morrison – largely kept Ipswich at bay.
Powell was understandably delighted after seeing his side leave the Championship’s bottom three with their first win on the road.
He said: “It has been a tough time for ourselves and, obviously, for Ipswich recently.
“It was a game, I’m sure, Paul (Jewell) looked at it as an opportunity to get back on track – and so did I.
“I am very pleased that we were the ones that came out on top and I felt over the 90 minutes we deserved it. “Getting the first goal gives you a foothold in the game and it means the other team has to change their tactics. And then Ricardo Fuller showed his class with a great individual effort.
- 1 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 2 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 3 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Army carries out controlled explosion of dummy tank shell in west Suffolk
- 6 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after death of child
- 7 Chasing a treble, style shift and potential debut - Burton v Ipswich talking points
- 8 Suffolk councillor can stay in role despite bribery sentence
- 9 Woman in 70s dies in hospital after serious crash in east Suffolk
- 10 Man dies following two-vehicle crash in west Suffolk town
“We watched Ipswich on Wednesday (the 2-0 defeat by Wolves) and we thought there would be a response (from them). But I felt we weathered the storm.”