We were too anxious - Jewell
NEW Ipswich Town boss Paul Jewell could not fault his players for their effort, but ultimately it was a losing start to his reign as manager at Millwall this afternoon.
NEW Ipswich Town boss Paul Jewell could not fault his players for their effort, but ultimately it was a losing start to his managerial reign at Millwall this afternoon.
Tamas Priskin’s 26th minute finish put Town ahead, but an equaliser just before half-time from Danny Schofield and then Steve Morison’s close-range goal on 76 minutes condemned Town to another defeat.
“There was plenty of effort. I couldn’t fault them for that or the commitment,” insisted Jewell.
“But we were just a bit anxious in possession, and I think the goal we conceded just before half-time changed it, in that we could have gone in with something to hang onto at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve got to be more on the front foot I think. We are a little bit anxious in the league and a bit edgy.
“We have got more time on the ball, and yet we are trying to play the ball too quick.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 7 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 8 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 9 Shoplifter caught stealing £829 worth of alcohol from Sainsbury's
- 10 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
“But I’ve only had one day’s training with them and at least next week I have all week to try and get some work into them,” added Jewell.
Town’s next outing is at home to Doncaster Rovers next Saturday.