Who is going to score Town’s goals?
WHO is going to score the goals that Ipswich Town badly need next season?
The Blues’ lack of firepower was one of the main reasons they struggled to make any impact in the Championship last term with skipper Jon Walters leading scorer with just eight goals.
Connor Wickham is one, with the 17-year-old rising star tipped to build on his very promising 2009/10 campaign and provide 15-plus goals.
But concerned Ipswich fans may have to wait a few weeks yet to see if manager Roy Keane will bring in a new man to partner Wickham up front and set the goals flowing.
Reports in the Romania press are linking Town with 26-year-old striker Andrei Cristea from Dinamo Bucharest.
You may also want to watch:
But like other speculation stories this summer it is believed to be off the mark.
There is some evidence to suggest that free-scoring Scunthorpe front man Gary Hooper could end up at Portman Road with the Lincolnshire-based club paving the way for the 23-year-old to leave by omitting him from their pre-season games.
- 1 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 2 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 3 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 5 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 6 Judge won't play for Ipswich again this season as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 7 Mark Ashton: The 'divisive' figure with a track record for promotion and profits
- 8 Peter Andre visits Ipswich for post-lockdown haircut
- 9 Goalkeeping coach Walker leaves Town as Cook bids to 'freshen things up'
- 10 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
Celtic, Blackpool, Leeds and Middlesbrough are also believed to be interested with Town able to no doubt match the player’s wage demands in ‘moving up’ from poorly supported Scunthorpe.
But the Iron are believed to want around �2.5million for a player who scored 20 times last season and whose contract ends next year.
This is beyond Town’s reach unless they can offload some of their current staff although the payment situation could be arranged in installments.
The situation remains the same at Portman Road with owner Marcus Evans insistent that players have to leave before other major signings can be made.
“I have decided not to involve Gary in the friendlies we have against the three local teams,” said Scunthorpe manager Nigel Adkins.
“But he’s training hard and has a smile on his face.”
Cristea has eight Romanian senior caps and was top scorer in the Romanian league last season with 16 goals,
Newcastle are also said to be interested and ready to bid for a player valued at �1.7million.
Ipswich have no ‘senior’ trialists at the club at the moment and the party expected to travel to Holland on Friday for their Saturday night game at PSV Eindhoven is expected to show few surprises with youngsters kept back for Saturday afternoon’s game at Great Yarmouth.