Who is going to score Town’s goals?
WHO is going to score the goals that Ipswich Town badly need next season?
The Blues’ lack of firepower was one of the main reasons they struggled to make any impact in the Championship last term with skipper Jon Walters leading scorer with just eight goals.
Connor Wickham is one, with the 17-year-old rising star tipped to build on his very promising 2009/10 campaign and provide 15-plus goals.
But concerned Ipswich fans may have to wait a few weeks yet to see if manager Roy Keane will bring in a new man to partner Wickham up front and set the goals flowing.
Reports in the Romania press are linking Town with 26-year-old striker Andrei Cristea from Dinamo Bucharest.
But like other speculation stories this summer it is believed to be off the mark.
There is some evidence to suggest that free-scoring Scunthorpe front man Gary Hooper could end up at Portman Road with the Lincolnshire-based club paving the way for the 23-year-old to leave by omitting him from their pre-season games.
- 1 Major west Suffolk reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 6 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 7 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 8 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 9 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 10 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
Celtic, Blackpool, Leeds and Middlesbrough are also believed to be interested with Town able to no doubt match the player’s wage demands in ‘moving up’ from poorly supported Scunthorpe.
But the Iron are believed to want around �2.5million for a player who scored 20 times last season and whose contract ends next year.
This is beyond Town’s reach unless they can offload some of their current staff although the payment situation could be arranged in installments.
The situation remains the same at Portman Road with owner Marcus Evans insistent that players have to leave before other major signings can be made.
“I have decided not to involve Gary in the friendlies we have against the three local teams,” said Scunthorpe manager Nigel Adkins.
“But he’s training hard and has a smile on his face.”
Cristea has eight Romanian senior caps and was top scorer in the Romanian league last season with 16 goals,
Newcastle are also said to be interested and ready to bid for a player valued at �1.7million.
Ipswich have no ‘senior’ trialists at the club at the moment and the party expected to travel to Holland on Friday for their Saturday night game at PSV Eindhoven is expected to show few surprises with youngsters kept back for Saturday afternoon’s game at Great Yarmouth.