Wickham up for two top awards
SCORING against Scunthorpe on Saturday might be more on his mind but Connor Wickham could end this weekend with two top youth awards.
The Ipswich hot-shot has been nominated in two Championship categories for this Sunday’s Football League awards - the Apprentice of the Year and the Young Player of the Year.
Wickham is in a shortlist of three competing to be crowned the league’s young player of the year with Watford’s Will Buckley and Arsenal loanee Henri Lansbury, currently at Norwich City, also up for the gong.
In the apprentice of the year category, which recognises players who are either second year scholars or first year professionals, Wickham will go up against Watford’s Adam Thompson and Wilfred Zaha of Crystal Palace.
The award looks at the record of the player in all competitions since he became an apprentice as well as his educational and disciplinary record and any other outstanding achievements.
You may also want to watch:
Colchester United have also been shortlisted in the Best Marketing Campaign category while Lewis McGugan’s rocket for Nottingham Forest against Ipswich in October is in contention in the Goal of the Year category.
In February, Wickham was named npower Championship Player of the Month.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 3 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 4 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 9 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training