Young guns to take the stage?
ROY KEANE might be prepared to throw in a couple of youngsters, for Sunday’s season finale against Sheffield United, in this record-breaking campaign.
While Town have set an unwanted record of 20 league draws, manager Keane has also re-written the history books by giving 19 players their Town debuts this term.
The latest of these, Billy Clark, has so far had just a few minutes on the pitch, as a late substitute against both Doncaster Rovers and Newcastle United.
But the chances are that Clark will be given more time to impress against the Blades, while defender Tom Eastman will also be hoping to make his senior debut, and so become the 20th new face of the season.
Keane was at Selhurst Park on Monday night, to watch Crystal Palace’s 1-1 draw against West Brom. The Irishman wants to secure several new signings this summer, so he is taking every opportunity to cast his eye over potential recruits.
The Town boss was understandably reluctant to make many changes to his side at champions Newcastle last Saturday, given the quality of the opposition, and the size of the occasion – the attendance of 52,182 was a record for the second tier.
But this Sunday’s home game offers a far more attractive opportunity to blood a few more youngsters. Midfielder Luke Hyam and defender Troy Brown could also be in the shake-up this weekend. They have been on the bench before, but only as unused substitutes.
- 1 Major west Suffolk road reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 3 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 6 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 7 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 8 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 9 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 10 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
The 19 to have made their Town debuts this season are as follows:
Damien Delaney, Tamas Priskin, Jack Colback, Lee Martin, Colin Healy, Grant Leadbitter, Carlos Edwards, Liam Rosenior, Ed Upson, Reggie Lambe, Jack Ainsley, Shane O’Connor, Stern John, Asmir Begovic, Arran Lee-Barrett, Brian Murphy, Daryl Murphy, David Healy and Billy Clark.
Meanwhile, Keane is set to reveal later this week the fate of the players who are out-of-contract this summer.
This group is made up of Richard Wright, David Wright, Liam Trotter, O’Connor, Pim Balkestein (option of an-other year), Upson, Ian McLoughlin, Ainsley, Lambe and Brown.