Ipswich Valley Rangers’ joint-managers delighted to progress into Senior Cup final
- Credit: Archant
Proud Ipswich Valley Rangers joint-managers Paul Tietjen and Paul Hadley cut delighted figures at the end of Saturday’s semi-final win against Debenham LC.
Deserved 2-1 winners, IVR, who sit sixth in the Touchline SIL Senior Division, reached the final of the Suffolk Senior Cup for the first-ever time.
“I think 2-1 was possibly closer than it should have been, but we’re delighted with the win,” said Tietjen.
“I think the two-goal cushion at half-time gave us a good platform to go into the second half knowing that Debenham were going to have to throw everything at us.”
In truth, Debenham, who scored a penalty moments into the second period, never really tested IVR goalkeeper Lewis Higgins, Rangers being able to progress thanks to goals from Munro Laflin and Jon Ince.
You may also want to watch:
“I think Munro settled us down and it was really good for him because bizarrely, this was his first for about seven months, and in such a big game,” Tietjen continued.
“He’s come in and he’s got that all-important goal. For the 60-odd minutes he was on the pitch, I thought he acquitted himself very well.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 7 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
- 8 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 9 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 10 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop
“Incey is certainly claiming the second goal – I don’t know how many goals he’s scored in his career, but I suspect he’s probably doubled his figure although Sam (Taylor) is claiming he brushed it as he ran across the goalkeeper.”
Hadley added: “Everyone’s really chuffed, especially all the people behind the scenes who have strived to achieve getting into a prestigious cup final like this one.
“We’d like to go on and win it.
“It would be a great achievement for the club and players.”