Ex-boss Hurst tips Town for EFL Trophy after group stage draw
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town will face Crawley, Gillingham and the Arsenal academy side in the group stages of the 2020/21 EFL Trophy.
Town were drawn against Gillingham and Crawley in Southern Group B yesterday, but discovered their final group opponent, the Gunners’ youngsters, in the live draw on Talksport 2 this afternoon, carried out by former Blues boss Paul Hurst.
And Hurst, who only lasted 15 games at the Blues in 2018, said: “Ipswich for me, if they take the competition seriously, with the squad that they’ve got, have to be one of the favourites.
“I know the fans down there would love a day out at Wembley.”
Paul Lambert’s men reached the third round of the trophy last season, before beating beaten 2-1 at Exeter in an upset, with ex-Town winger Lee Martin scoring the winner.
The Blues came through a group including Spurs’ academy, Colchester United and Gillingham - the latter of whom they beat 4-0 at Portman Road, and will face again in league and trophy this season.
A penalty shoot-out win at Peterborough followed in the second round, before the reverse at Exeter.
- 1 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 2 14 players that could solve Town's left-sided problem
- 3 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 4 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
- 5 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 6 Man left with head injury after attack in seaside town
- 7 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
- 8 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 9 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
- 10 Former Suffolk poultry farm site could be converted into homes
Dates for games are as follows:
Group game 1: Sept 8/9
Group game 2: Oct 6/7
Group game 3: Nov 10/11
Round of 32: Dec 8/9
Round of 16: Jan 12/13
Quarters: Feb 2/3
Semis: Feb 16/17
Final: March 14