Iron and Dulwich will have to do it all again after Trophy stalemate
- Credit: Archant
The Buildbase FA Trophy Third Round Braintree Town 0 Dulwich Hamlet 0
It took the woodwork and a brilliant save two minutes from time by Iron keeper Sam Beasant to deny the Hamlet a victory in this entertaining cup tie at Cressing Road.
After the home side dominated early on but had wasted several first half chances, including two a piece from strikers Michael Cheek and Jack Midson, the visitors took charge after the interval.
Four minutes after the restart Ashley Carew struck the Iron post and from then on it was the visitors who were in charge with Beasant pulling off a great save to deny substitute Ibra Sekajja a winning goal. At the end a delighted Hamlet boss Gavin Rose praised his players for “putting in a fantastic performance against a National League side” adding: “I felt we could have won it in the second half.
Iron manager Hakan Hayrettin was disappointed his side failed to take their first half chances: “We have to score when on top and be more clinical in front of goal and I know we had three efforts cleared off their goal line in the first half but that allowed them to put us under pressure in the second half which I expected,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“But it’s a clean sheet and we’re in the draw and with a job to do in Tuesday’s replay,” he continued.
“They are a decent team so I really have no complaint about the result.”
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Two arrested after man dies in crash
The Iron dominated the first half exchanges and but for Hamlet keeper Preston Edwards and two goalline clearance from defenders the Iron would have come in at the break at least two ahead.
But the second half was different as Iron sat back, the visitors pushed on where had they been a bit more clinical in front of goal they could have won the match.
Braintree Town: (4-4-2) Beasant, Clohessy , Okimo , Goodman , Parry; Isaac, Corne (Farrell 61mins), Henshall (Reeece Hall-Johnson 61 mins), Twardek; Cheek, Midson . Unused subs: Lee, Barnard, Gayle.
Referee: Carl Brook. Att: 608