Is Leicester City’s Tom Lawrence now Ipswich Town’s greatest-ever loan player?
- Credit: James Ager
Tom Lawrence is in sensational form for Ipswich Town – but he is now the club’s greatest-ever loan player?
The 23-year-old Welsh international forward – set to be with the Blues for the entire season from Premier League champions Leicester City – found the top corner with a breathtaking 30 yard strike in Saturday’s 3-2 home win against Blackburn.
He has now scored seven goals in all competitions, with three of them likely to be Championship goal-of-the-season contenders. In addition to the outstanding goals scored at Sheffield Wednesday and QPR, he also got the Blues out of jail in the FA Cup with two goals salvaging a replay against non-league side Lincoln City.
Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick started out as loan players at Ipswich, while the likes of Andros Townsend, Danny Simpson, Mark Noble and Jake Livermore all went on to be Premier League success after spells at Portman Road.
But below we pick out the six biggest rivals to Lawrence for the title as Town’s best-ever loan player. Cast your vote...
You may also want to watch:
RYAN FRASER (2015/16)
The diminutive Scotsman produced some dazzling displays on the left-wing when borrowed from Bournemouth in 2015/16. Shame injuries held him back. No surprise that he’s now doing the business in the Premier League.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 4 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 5 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 6 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 7 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 8 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 9 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
Starts: 15 Subs apps: 6 Goals: 6
JONNY WILLIAMS (Feb-May 2014)
First loan spell from Crystal Palace was great. Popular off the pitch, exciting on it. Quick-footed attacking midfielder took the hits. Remember the quickfire wins against Brighton and Derby?
Starts: 11 Sub apps: 2 Goals: 1
DJ CAMPBELL (Oct 2012 – Jan 2013)
The well-travelled striker was signed by Paul Jewell, but scored the goals which got Town away from the relegation zone after Mick McCarthy took charge – including the vital winner in his first game at Birmingham.
Starts: 17 Sub apps: 0 Goals: 10
KEITH ANDREWS (Aug 2011 – Jan 2012)
Irishman scored at a rate of almost a goal every other game. Two goals in the 5-3 win at Barnsley gave Paul Jewell a stay of execution.
Starts: 19 Sub apps: 1 Goals: 9
JIMMY BULLARD (Jan-May 2011)
His subsequent permanent switch didn’t work out, but the initial loan spell was superb. Scored twice at Cardiff, looked a class act in midfield and lit up the place with his character. Sales of blond wings went crazy.
Starts: 16 Subs apps: 0 Goals: 5
GIOVANI DOS SANTOS (Mar-Jun 2009)
It still seems crazy that the silky Mexican forward, who started at Barcelona and was out-of-favour at Tottenham, was at Portman Road for a brief spell in 2009. Far too good for the Championship. Four goals in eight games. Terrorised Norwich. Now at LA Galaxy.
Starts: 6 Sub apps: 2 Goals: 4