“It’s a kick in the teeth” – John Ward
COLCHESTER United manager John Ward described his side’s 1-0 defeat at Brentford as a “kick in the teeth.”
The U’s were denied what would have been a deserved point by Farid El Alagui’s close range header on 87 minutes.
It meant that Ward’s men have now collected just three points from a possible 15 in their first five League One games of the season, leaving them in the bottom four.
“We looked good for at least a point,” rued Ward.
“We both had chances to win, prior to their goal, but being away from home against a good side in Brentford, who have started the season strongly, we’ve created four or five one-on-ones and not scored one.
You may also want to watch:
“That’s a problem for us at the moment, but the creation was decent.
“At the other end, Mark Cousins pulled off a couple of good saves when they have had similar opportunities.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 10 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
“It’s a kick in the teeth to lose it at the end like that.
“I know we have to win games, but the minimum is to take a good point away from here.
“But we have taken nothing after a massive effort from everybody. We have all worked hard to get a result and put last week’s (4-0 defeat at Tranmere) to bed.
“But we have not been able to do it,” added Ward.