‘It’s a terrific achievement’ insists Heybridge Swifts striker Luke Callander
Luke Callander has hailed the “terrific achievement” of Heybridge Swifts to reach the first round proper of the FA Cup.
Experienced front-man Callander, the former Chelmsford City, AFC Sudbury and Bishop’s Stortford striker, bagged a brace of goals in the Swifts’ 4-2 win at Haringey Borough in front of a 400-plus crowd at Coles Park on Saturday.
Jody Brown’s men were good value for this win, at the fourth qualifying round stage, to reach the first round of the FA Cup for the fourth time in the Essex club’s history.
The draw for the first round will be televised live this evening (from 7pm) on BBC2.
“To reach the first round of the FA Cup, for a club the size of Heybridge Swifts, is obviously a terrific achievement,” said Callander.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m so pleased for the rest of the boys, the supporters and everyone involved with the club. It was a really tight game, and Haringey made us work hard for it. The bit of quality when we scored three goals in eight minutes saw us through.”
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 6 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 7 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 8 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 9 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
- 10 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14